Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Strivers' Row Spy by Jason Overstreet

Well, I tried.

I got almost 1/3rd of the way in on The Strivers' Row Spy before calling it quits.  Life is too short and my TBR pile too high to continue reading a book that was only making me sigh in annoyance and wish I was doing something else other than reading.

I had high hopes too.  It started with a great cover.  I mean, good God, this is a gorgeous cover.  It continued with a setting of a time period I like to read and the blurb made the story sound like it would be intriguing and exciting and I might even learn a few things.  And, to keep all those diverse writing warriors happy, it's a story about POC and written by an MOC.

Well, a history book couldn't have been more dry.

The main character of Sidney Temple never came alive for me as more than a pedantic, boring, smug and supercilious young man.  I never felt any connection or empathy or even interest in what he was doing, and I think that was because he never evinced any enthusiasm.  All so bland and matter of fact.  Often his conversations with the other characters became lectures.  People don't really talk that way, I hope, because OMG, YAWN!!  I felt as if I was being lectured and told, page after page.  Show, don't tell, does not apply here.

So, I DNFed.   And I feel a little guilty because I very seldom give up on a book, but again... Life is too short and the TBR pile is too big!


No comments:

Post a Comment