Friday, October 11, 2013

30 Day Challenge - Day 11

Day 11 - A book you hated.

"Hated" is a very strong word. There have been books I've disliked and Hyperion is one of them. I read it a long while ago, fifteen years at least, but it still pops to mind whenever anyone asks the question. As I remember, I had to do a lot of going back and rereading passages to make sure I understood what was going on and even then, it was "Really? Okay then." with a shrug and a carry on. I know I read through to the very end in the hopes I would 'get it' or at least come to like the characters. Nada. Nope. Rien de tout. It was still awful.

So many folks who read science fiction love this book and praise it as one that every sci-fi fan MUST read, a classic etc... Well, this gal says no. It was one of the most dissatisfying reads I have ever had and sadly, a total waste of my time.

**********

The only book I have truly hated is Fifty Shades of Grey. Suffice to say that it is the most badly written, filled with abuse, total misinformation about the BDSM lifestyle, purveyor and perpetrator of misogynistic bullshit that I have ever, ever read. And I weep, WEEP for women and girls who think that this shit is romantic. I have a link that I would like to share that explain this far better than I ever could.

50 Shades and Abusive Relationships by Jennifer Armintrout.

No comments:

Post a Comment