Friday, May 22, 2015

The Gravedigger's Brawl by Abigail Roux

2.5 STARS

Welp. That was a book. *LOL*

I love Abi's books. Her Cut & Run series remains a huge favourite and her According to Hoyle is stellar. But this one... this book... I just don't know.

The premise is nifty. Ghosts, museum curators, a popular tavern in the historical district and on the surface, the characters seem like a cool bunch of folks that I'd want to get to know. But maybe that's the problem. I never got to know the main antagonists, Wyatt, the museum curator and Ash, the bartender, more than what they showed on their surface. I don't feel as if I'm coming out of the story knowing them any better than when I went in.

The story itself feels very jerky and I found myself often turning back a few pages because I thought I had missed something. But no, it was just a sudden jump to what felt like the middle of a new scene. The clues to what was going on seemed to be rather sparse up until the last ... oh... 2 chapters of the book, maybe even the last chapter and then all hell broke loose. I think I'd have preferred more depth throughout the story.

There were other things as well. I never understood why Wyatt's best friend, Noah, kept telling him he should stay away from Ash (all the while wanting them to get together.). Hell, I never really understood why Ash and Wyatt kept pushing each other away. And in the end, I don't really know why Ash and Wyatt fell for each other. I feel like I know more about the workings of Caleb and Noah's relationship than the MCs.

In the end, I think it feels to me that this book needs more work maybe?

I know a lot of folks love this book. I just find myself wondering why. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment