Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Point of Hopes by Melissa Scott & Lisa A. Barnett

4.5 STARS

Astreiant Series - Book 1

I managed to catch a tweet by one of my favourite authors, KJ Charles, wherein she mentioned having a book hangover after finishing the last book of the Points series by Melissa Scott. So, I went a hunting. I always check out what my fave authors are reading and have found it a pretty good barometer for finding new reads.

Point of Hopes is the first in the Astreiant series and introduces us to a fascinating world and a bunch of fascinating characters, the main ones being Nicolas (Nico) Rathe, a pointsman (police detective) in the Point of Hopes, and Philip Eslingen, a recently discharged soldier. Children are going missing throughout the city of Astreiant and Rathe is on the case. He enlists the help of Philip and a long-time friend who also happens to be a necromancer, Istre b'Estorr to figure out what's going on and find the children. It's really a fantasy/mystery/police procedural story and I love that!

The world-building is amazing! We're talking about a world where what makes it go 'round is astrology - complicated and real astrology. The city of Astreiant where the majority of the action takes place is a walled city divided into districts called Points - 12 of them of course. We follow Rico and Philip as they try and solve the mystery of the missing children and as we do, we are introduced to this marvelous and original world and society.

The characters are great too. I liked all of them - the main and the secondary and even the characters who arrived for just one scene.

I'm so glad that I was able to pick up the existing 4 books of the series (On sale, I might add - from Lethe Press until March 31st.) because I am HOOKED!

Thanks to KJ Charles for talking about the books she loves! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment