Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

4 STARS

The Expanse - Book 1

Let me begin by saying that I seldom read and truly enjoy science fiction.  Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series is one that I love, the Pern books, Marion Zimmer Bradley, the Mars books by Kim Stanley Robinson as well.  So I honestly wasn't expecting to be pulled into Leviathan Wakes as deeply as I was.

I had watched the first season of the TV show The Expanse (it's funny, I much prefer sci-fi TV to books and I don't know why) and loved it.  Great genre TV!  I had no intention of starting to read the series of books, but then one day, the first one went on sale and I thought, well, I'd heard about how good it was and how close to the show it was so why the hell not.  :)

It was GOOD!!  People call it a space opera.  Okay, so there's not reams and reams of physics and chemistry and explanations and stuff.  It's an action story as well as a bit of a noir detective tale!  And I like those.  There are characters who some might call stereotypes, but that sets up the exploration of the questions the plot poses.  I also saw complaints about the women in the book not being represented as well as they possibly could have been.  *sigh*  Sometimes it's not about the women, y'know.  Book 2, Caliban's War, seems to rectify that as one of the POV characters is a woman.

Anyway!  Loved the book, it read along at a brisk pace, there were twists and turns, promises kept and betrayals committed and even a sacrifice or two.  :)  One thing I will say is that compared to the TV show, we saw pretty much NOTHING on Earth or Mars - that comes in later books. And yes, I'm hooked.  Going to have to get the others in the series, but will have to wait until they go on sale.  $13 for an ebook just ain't in my budget!


No comments:

Post a Comment