Monday, March 18, 2013

Counterpoint by Rachel Haimowitz

4 STARS

Song of the Fallen - Book 1

I love it when two of my favorite genres, fantasy and romance come together successfully. (Especially written by an author I've come to really enjoy.) 

In Counterpoint, that's exactly what happens. 

I had a few nitpicks - I wasn't quite clear how Ella was able to get by so easily, I had a tough time getting a visual in my head for both Ayden and Freyrik (probably more my fault than the author's), and I found myself wondering a lot about Kona. But, all this is small potatoes, really. :)

The elf and the human falling in love, we see it a lot in fantasy. When it's done badly, it's BAD, when it's well done, it's the story of Ayden and Rik. The emotions take their time to develop, they're questioned and studied by the characters involved and in the end, you believe it because it seemed so damned natural. 

Another thing that was so well done was the epic battle scene. It flowed, it was detailed, you could hear and smell the battle. The author obviously did her homework because it worked perfectly!

My only real complaint is the cliffhanger at the end. I knew this was the first of a series, but the ending totally caught me off guard. I'm not a huge fan of the dum-dum-duuuum endings, preferring a resolution to the current storyline with the hint, the suspicion, the feeling that something else is coming. Your mileage may vary. :)

Anyway, I loved it and am looking forward to reading Crescendo, book 2 of the series. If fantasy and romance turns your crank, I can highly recommend Counterpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment