Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The Two Gentlemen of Altona by Lisa Henry and J.A. Rock

3.5 STARS

Playing the Fool - Book 1

This first book of the Playing the Fool series/trilogy was a fun read. Somewhat light-hearted, this tale of the meeting of the FBI Agent and the con-man read more like White Collar than Blindspot.

I liked both main characters. They each had their set of quirks and flaws that made them more human and it was easy to see what was piquing the interest of one in the other. They had good chemistry, I thought.

The suspenseful aspect of the book wasn't intricate or deep or anything. And that was okay, this was ore of a get-to-know-ya type of story for the characters. I will admit that the part of the FBI plot that had to do with the insider kept me guessing until the end.

The one problem I had was the cliff-hangery ending. I had already bought the other two books of the series when I was halfway through this one, but had no idea that the ending would be so abrupt. I find myself resentful when the endings are so, open-ended for want of a better word. I get that Mac and Henry's tale is far from over, but jeez!!!

Anyway, I have the next two ready to go whenever I'm ready to get to them. :) Frequent readers of My Thoughts know I hate to binge read a series. :)

So, yeah, good book. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment