Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Gabriel Hounds by Mary Stewart

4 Stars

I felt the need to dive back into an old faithful this week, and Mary Stewart was the choice and The Gabriel Hounds the book. 

I still love the Mary Stewart mysteries.  Yes, they're somewhat dated, but I'm transported back to the girl in her early teens who gobbled them up like potato chips. 

The heroine of this tale, is Christy Mansell and she's really not the nicest of people.  *LOL*  She's 22 years old and oh so world-weary. She's very typically upperclass British just this side of snobby - oh hell, she's actually a moneyed snob, okay?  But she owns it, saving her from being detestable. 

The hero is her cousin Charles Mansell - they are the children of identical twin brothers, you see.  He's a few years older and knows just about everything there is to know.  Again, he's that long, lanky, languid British young man that was so popular in the late 60s. 

I particularly loved this book because it took place in Lebanon with saluki dogs, ancient palaces, marketplaces and small Arabic villages with small Arabic children.  It was in my Violet Winspear days too, when I first read it, so that primed the pump so to speak.

Anyway, it was a pleasure to dive back into a much-loved book by a much-loved author. (And I must mention my love for the new ebook covers.  They're scrumptious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment