Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Markswoman by Rati Mehrotra

3.5 Stars

Asiana - Book 1

To be honest, the first thing that drew me in about this book was the cover.  It's gorgeous!  And then the blurb sounded good and different from what I've spent most of my fantasy reading career reading.  The past couple of years have see a rise in the diversity of my fantasy reading.  Lots of Asian stuff is on my radar now.

Anyway... good read.  More New Adult than I would normally like.  I think I would have liked more time spent on the actualities of this very post apocalyptic world instead of the angsting of the main character, but... it's New Adult.  I've seen it referenced as a romance as well, but quite honestly, the romance is mostly in the second half and as far as I can see isn't created from much.  It's as if the author has said there's a romance so there is.  I would have liked to see that more developed too. 

I liked the characters, was intrigued by the world but I wanted more.  And since I know there's another book coming, I was very annoyed by the cliffhanger ending.  Had this been a standalone, I'd have cheered it.  (Hint - I thought The Sopranos ending was genius.)

So, yes, I will add the sequel to my list, but I won't be rushing out to buy it as soon as it's published.  )

No comments:

Post a Comment